Skip to main content

Double Majors, Adjunct Majors and Minors

Double and adjunct majors:  Your primary major is your major in the School of Communication which will grant your degree and major.  You must complete all degree requirements for your primary major, including the distributions, the requirements for the major, and the electives. The School of Communication does not allow double majors where both majors are within the SoC. It also does not allow students in other schools to complete a SoC major as a second major. If you do a second major, typically in Weinberg, you are required to complete the major requirements for the department that grants the major.  You do not also do a second set of distribution and elective requirements. At graduation, both majors are entered on your academic record and will show on your transcript, but only one degree and one diploma are awarded to you.

SESP, Medill and Engineering are similar to SoC in that you cannot be an SoC student and do a second major in any of those schools.  Music occasionally allows second majors, depending upon a successful audition for performance majors and availability of space in the desired program.

To sign up for a double major or adjunct major, check the department or program website for instructions on how to declare. Courses taken for the double major may apply to the distribution requirements for your School of Communication major, or be counted as electives.

The School of Communication does not limit the number of minors a student may declare.

SoC does not restrict the double counting of courses for requirements in multiple programs. However, most majors, minors and certificates in other schools typically restrict the double counting of courses between those programs and another major, minor or certificate. Typically, courses required for “related course requirements” are permitted to double count, but consult the relevant school’s program requirements for details.

To declare a minor within SoC, make an appointment with an advisor of the minor that you wish to declare. If you do not know with which advisor to meet, contact the SoC Office of Undergraduate Programs and Advising at Once the advisor in your proposed minor has reviewed the requirements and your progress toward the minor, he or she will sign off on your minor declaration form, and submit the form for you.

To drop a minor, submit the minor drop form to your minor advisor.