Skip to main content

Music and Communication Dual Degree Program

Declare the Dual Degree

The dual degree program in music and communication offers students the opportunity to earn either a bachelor of music or bachelor of arts in music and either a bachelor of science or bachelor of arts in communication in five years. Acceptance into the Bienen School of Music via audition is required for participation in the dual degree program.

Pending an approved audition, students in the dual degree program may select any of the Bienen School of Music’s majors. Students may also select any of the School of Communication’s six majors for the BS in communica­tion and any School of Communication major other than human communication sciences for the BA in communica­tion, although the school maintains an enrollment cap of 100 per class for the theatre major; if this major is full, students may request to be put on a waiting list.

All students in the dual degree program must complete all requirements for both degrees, with no double count­ing of courses allowed between the required courses for the communication major and the required courses for the music major. All policies of each school are enforced in the meeting of that school’s requirements. No major in communication will be awarded without the School of Communication degree requirements also having been fulfilled; communication majors can only be earned as part of the communication degree. Students are also required to meet the Undergraduate Registration Requirement (URR) for students in dual degree programs, earning at least 42 credits in 12 quarters at Northwestern. Current students who are interested in pursuing the dual degree in communication and music should contact the assis­tant dean for student affairs in the Bienen School and an academic advisor in SoC for more information. Appointments with SoC advisors can be made by calling 847-491-7214.

Declare the Dual Degree in Music and Communication

To declare a dual degree, students should first go to the Registrar’s Website at complete the application to add a dual degree. Students should then meet with the Assistant Dean for Student Affairs in Bienen. Students should then call 847-491-7214 to make an appointment with an SoC advisor. Please see the dual degree section of this guide for information on admissions requirements for music, and on curriculum for the programs.