Skip to main content

Transfer to Another School at Northwestern

Important Deadlines

  • 1st day of quarter: First day to initiate an interschool transfer
  • 4th Friday of quarter: Last day to submit an interschool transfer form online

Transfers into the School of Communication

To transfer into the school, students should submit an online interschool transfer (IST) request at The student’s current school will first approve the request. In the meantime, students should meet with an SoC advisor no later than noon on Friday of the fourth week of the quarter. Appointments can be made by calling the Student Resource Center at 847-491-7214. Students should call to schedule their appointment several days in advance of the deadline (ideally by Monday of the 4th week), as our advisors’ schedules book up quickly that week.

Northwestern students are allowed to transfer freely between schools if they are in good academic standing with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above and if there is room available in the proposed major. The Department of Theatre limits each class to 100; students interested in transferring into Theatre should contact a theatre advisor to ask if there is space in the major before submitting an IST application. If the major is full, you may ask to be added to the waitlist.

Transfers out of the School of Communication

To transfer out of the school, students should submit an online IST request at We encourage you to notify your academic advisor that you will be leaving SoC. An SoC administrator will approve your request to IST out, but you are still responsible for following the remaining instructions on the Registrar’s site for the school you wish to enter.

Finalizing the Interschool Transfer

Interschool transfers may be nullified either for failure to meet the GPA requirement or for an academic integrity violation. ISTs processed in the first month of one quarter will appear on the student’s record as of the following quarter (i.e., an IST processed in the fall becomes official when winter quarter begins); however, the student will be able to register for classes in their new school/major once the IST forms have been completed.