Skip to main content

Dual Degree in Engineering and Communication

The dual degree program in communication and engineering offers students the opportunity to earn both a bachelor of science in engineering and either a bachelor of science or bachelor of arts in communication in five years. Students may select any of the available programs of study in engineering. They may also select any of the School of Communication’s six majors for the BS in communication and any School of Communication major other than human communication sciences for the BA in communication, although the school maintains an enrollment cap of 100 per class for the theatre major; if this major is full, students may request to be put on a waiting list. 

All students in the dual degree program must complete all requirements for both degrees, with no double counting of courses allowed between the required courses for the engineering major and the required courses for the communication major. All policies of each school are enforced in the meeting of that school’s requirements. No major in engineering or communication will be awarded without the relevant degree requirements also having been fulfilled; the majors in engineering and communication can only be earned as part of their respective degrees. Students are also required to meet the Undergraduate Registration Requirement (URR) for students in dual degree programs, including earning at least 42 credits in 12 quarters at Northwestern. 

Note that dual degrees are not the same as double majors. Students in dual degree program will earn two degrees, one in each School.  SoC students who double major will earn a single degree in communication, but will have a second major that appears on their official transcript.  


Add or Drop the Dual Degree in Communication and Engineering

Current students who are interested in pursuing the dual degree in communication and engineering should contact an adviser in the McCormick Office of Undergraduate Engineering  ( and an academic advisor in the desired SoC major. Appointments with SoC advisors can be made through the SoC Office of Undergraduate Programs and Advising (; 847-491-7214).

Most students who pursue a dual degree apply for their dual degree program of interest prior to being admitted to Northwestern University.  However, students who are already enrolled in a single degree program at Northwestern can request to add a dual degree by submitting the application to add a dual bachelor’s degree program. Students who are enrolled in a dual degree program and would like to drop one of the programs can do so by submitting the application to remove a dual bachelor’s degree program. Both forms, as well as other relevant information, are available on the Office of the Registrar’s website: