Skip to main content

Advising Category: Academic Support

Verification of Enrollment or Degree

Degree and/or Enrollment Verifications   All requests for Degree and/or Enrollment Verification for current students, former students, and employers/professional organizations are directed through the Office of Registrar. For detailed steps on how to access degree and/or enrollment verification and certification, please visit:  The Enrollment Verification Request Form is also available on the undergraduate advising website, under ‘Forms’.

(FERPA) Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is the policy Northwestern University follows concerning student rights of access to personal educational records. Under this policy, a student’s records cannot be shared with third parties without their prior written approval, a student has the right to inspect and review their own records, and more.*  *For detailed information

Academic Standing, Probation and Dismissal

Academic Standing  The decision concerning the academic standing of a student is the responsibility of the faculty of the school in which the student is registered. Academic probation constitutes notice of unsatisfactory academic performance; it is a warning that minimum standards for graduation are not being met.  Unless a student demonstrates significant scholastic improvement during

Withdraw For One or More Quarters (Term Withdrawal) & Re-Entry (FRET)

Students have the option to withdraw from Northwestern University for one or more quarters, then return at a later date.  If you would like to withdraw for personal reasons, learn about the withdrawal policies [see], and submit the Term Withdrawal Request form for undergraduate students [see]. If you are seeking a medical leave of absence (MLOA), information and

NU Libraries

The libraries’ holdings include immense and varied collections, databases and electronic journals, governmental information and more. In addition to providing educational materials in both hard copy and electronic formats, NU libraries can support research activities, and assist with access to educational facilities and equipment. To learn about their full range of services, visit:

Office of Fellowships

Fellowships are competitive awards that pay students and alumni for a short period of time, from a few months to a couple of years, to do creative projects, research projects, community outreach, academic study, or professional-development internships. At the Office of Fellowships, a team of specialists matches students with awards and serves as coaches and

Office of Undergraduate Research (OUR)

Are you an undergraduate student interested in conducting independent research, working on a creative project, or being a research assistant? Learn project management and grant writing skills that will support your post-college aspirations at the Office of Undergraduate Research. OUR awards funding to hundreds of students each year. Learn more about application deadlines and schedule

Health Professions Advising (HPA)

Health Professions Advising offers support for students who want to pursue health- and healthcare- related careers. Their website is:

The Writing Place

The Writing Place, located in the University Library, provides free peer tutoring for writing. You can learn more and sign up for an appointment on their website:

Undergraduate Academic Resource Portal 

If you’re a Northwestern student, you’re a skilled learner — but that doesn’t mean you never need help. Explore the Portal for tutoring across many different academic areas. You can also use it to find a group study, general academic support, and other academic opportunities: undergraduate-academic-resources