We look forward to the SoC Undergraduate Convocation on June 12, 2021 in Ryan Field at 2 pm!
- When: School of Communication Undergraduate Convocation at Ryan Field begins at 2:00 p.m., June 12, 2021. Doors open at 1:00 p.m. Graduates should arrive in cap and gown between 1-1:15 pm.
- Where: Ryan Field
- All Guests, including ADA seating: S T M N Q
- Graduates: Gate K
- Late Regalia Pick Up: Inside Gate K
- Info Desk: Outside of Gate R
- First Aid: Gate Q
- Reception: Immediately following the conclusion of the convocation, you are invited to a reception on the east side of Ryan Field to gather with friends and family in celebration
- Prepare for the Weather: The celebration is in Ryan Field, which is an outdoor venue. You and your guests should prepare for the weather of the day by bringing sunscreen or rain gear. In the case of rain, we remain outside. In case of severe weather, we will communicate through the commencement website and/or at site locations.
- Security Ryan Field Restrictions: Umbrellas, large items that would obstruct others’ views, and weapons are prohibited at Ryan Field. Guests will enter the stadium through magnetometers.
- Emergency Messaging: To opt-in to the RAVE system to receive emergency messaging, text “AlertNU” to 226787. This will subscribe you for 365 days. You can opt out at any time by texting “STOP” to the same number. The RAVE emergency messaging system will alert you to any campus emergencies.
All visitors to Northwestern’s campus must adhere to the University’s safety protocols, which are based on current public health guidelines. The Illinois Department of Public Health and Northwestern require community members to wear masks indoors and at large outdoor gatherings or events. Graduates will be provided a matching face mask to wear with your regalia. All guests will be required to wear their own face mask to be admitted into Ryan Field. All graduates and guests must also monitor symptoms and avoid campus if you are experiencing COVID-19-related symptoms.
For those who ordered regalia this year and had it shipped to the Norris Bookstore, it is now available for pickup. The bookstore pick-up hours are as follows:
- Tuesday, June 1 – Saturday, June 5 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Monday, June 7 – Thursday, June 10 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Friday, June 11 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
If you have any questions, please contact the Norris Bookstore at 847.491.3992.
To enter the convocation, all guests must have electronic tickets displayed on a mobile device for scanning. On June 4, the graduate should have received an email from NU Athletics with tickets attached. The graduate can forward these tickets to their guest(s). There will be assigned seating at this convocation, and the seat numbers are on the tickets. One device can be used to display all tickets for scanning.
Parking and Transportation
Complimentary parking is available at the Ryan Field West Lot near Ashland and Central. Please see the Commencement Guidebook App for details or the Evanston campus map. If you park on campus, there will be campus shuttles that traverse a 7-stop loop north on Sheridan from campus to Ryan Field. Shuttles begin one hour prior to Ryan Field event start times. Plan travel time accordingly – shuttles take longer with stops and traffic on this day. Masks are required on shuttles.
The student may briefly remove their mask when crossing the stage with their diploma cover and taking the on-stage photo. The mask should be replaced before they return to their seat.
The convocation ceremony will be livestreamed for those who are not able to join us in person. Livestream at commencement.northwestern.edu/soc2021.
Diplomas for Spring Graduates will be mailed to your permanent address listed on CAESAR after graduation. Please make sure to check that your permanent home address is correctly listed on CAESAR to avoid delay in delivery.
Please contact Tricia David at email@example.com with questions. We look forward to celebrating your accomplishments on June 12!