Skip to main content

Advising Category: Declaring

Enrollment in an SoC Module

The process for enrolling in a module depends on the module. For detailed information on modules, their requirements, and how to enroll, click on the module of interest at:   Regardless of the enrollment process specific to your module of interest, you will be required to fill out the Module Declaration Form, and meet with the module advisor.  

Change majors within SoC (Interdepartmental Transfer – IDT)

To transfer from one department of the School of Communication to another, fill out the interdepartmental transfer application, obtain the signature of your current advisor, and make an appointment with an advisor in the major to which you wish to transfer. If you do not know with which advisor to meet, contact the SoC Office

Certificates in SoC

The School of Communication offers a certificate in music theatre, and is a key collaborator in offering a certificate in human computer interaction.   The Music Theatre (MT) Certificate has an audition process for students who have already matriculated to Northwestern University. Additional details on the MT Certificate are available at  The Human Computer Interaction (HCI) Certificate represents an interdisciplinary partnership

SoC Major Policies and Declaration

Declare an SoC Major   Students in the School of Communication earn a BA or BS in Communication, not in their selected major. The degree will appear on the diploma, and the major will appear on the transcript.   Because SoC doesn’t have the option of an undeclared major, any student whose primary major is in SoC has

SoC Minor Policies and Declaration

SoC students have the option of pursuing minors either within or outside of the SoC. The School of Communication does not limit the number of minors a student may declare.  To view all of the minors offered by SoC, visit the Minors in SoC under the Undergraduate Programs tab on the advising website. To view all programs

Minors and Certificates Outside of SoC 

SoC students have the option of pursuing minors and certificates either within or outside of the School of Communication.  The School of Communication does not limit the number of minors or certificates a student may declare.  Courses taken for a non-SoC minor or certificate may apply to the distribution or elective requirements for your SoC major.  SoC does not restrict the double counting of courses